A lot of people these days store their media content(Pictures, Music, Videos) on a networked drive or server. This becomes a challenge to handle from client computers, due to having to always find the folder in Network Places or by typing in the path.
A little known fact is that Vista gives you a built in way to manage these folders.
- Click Start -> Your Login Name (in my case it is Owner)
- This brings you to a general directory with all your personal folders. Right Click Pictures and click Properties
- Now click the Location Tab
- Here you can change the location to where your pictures are located on the network drive
- Click Ok, you will be prompted with with “Do you want to move all the files from the old location to the new location?” – You should say Yes to this or you will end up with multiple Pictures folders.
- Now repeat steps 1 through 5 for Videos and Music.
You should do this by default on all computers used in your house and everyone will be adding and managing media in the same place. This makes things a lot easier to manage and backup.
Bonus Tip: I would also recommend creating a shortcut to these folders in the windows explorer Favorite Links. You can do this by dragging and dropping them there.
Most programs that manage your media are defaulted to look at these directories, so they’ll be pointed at the right place automatically.